Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Squash casserole

It's a rainy, cold fall day.
It's the kind of day I like to cook.
I had a few squash I'd been needing to use up - 2 of these were actually from LAST years garden! I honestly had no idea that squash lasted this long!
In the end, the small acorn squash that turned orange was going bad from the inside out so I didn't use it in this recipe.
I peeled and sliced thinly the other 2 squash and sliced a large onion. I then sauteed it in about 2 tbsp of butter until it was soft and the onions were translucent - about 15 minutes.

In another bowl, I grated about 2 cups of cheddar cheese,  added a half cup of sour cream, some salt and pepper, cayenne pepper, and a bunch of Ritz craker crumbs (finally a use for all those broken crackers no one wants to eat!!)

I then stirred the squash and onion into this mixture and put it all into a greased casserole dish.  I topped it with more cheddar cheese, some Parmesan, and some more cracker crumbs. 
Popped it into a 350° oven for about 20 minutes.
This was to be served with pork chops and steamed broccoli for dinner tonight.
I couldn't wait!
Yum!!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious, nothing like warm comfort food on a damp rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that does look delicious! I am always trying to figure out ways to make things with leftovers. We have a lot now that the kids have flown the coop. I figure with enough cheese, I can make just about anything edible.

    Love your casserole, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It WAS delicious! Definitely be making this again!

    ReplyDelete